> What I am talking about relates to my last experience with
> mandrake 8.2 which was really shaping up to be quite the
> solid distribution, but was released a few weeks
> before it was ready....
> I think it would be a wise move to take the extra time
> to work through the smaller issues.

I agree completely. I just volunteered my entire Summer
introducing Mandrake 8.2 to our local school system. I've
installed an LTSP system that drives an entire classroom
along with a number of other projects. I've trained some
school techs and spent a lot of time and energy fighting
off the always hostile Microsoft establishment.

We've been anticipating 9.0 and testing the RC's. With
RC3, some of us are having trouble mounting CDROM drives.
People scoff at things like this and problems with mice,
but a bug like this will kill the foothold we worked hard
to get Mandrake. It would also fuel the Microsoft skeptics
that have constantly hassled us.

Bugs are not the only problem. RPMDrake has been massively
changed in RC3. Now it's split into 4 parts and the treeview
is gone. Now the people I trained to install packages and use
the treeview to see where files have been placed will have to
be retrained.

Yes, Mandrake is free and the people who work on it are great.
I believe in the distro and have volunteered months of my time
for free to promote it. I've also been encouraging our school
system to join Mandrake Club. These changes to RPMDrake mean
that I  will have to work harder just to get everyone back to
where they were with 8.2.

I have stuck my neck out for Mandrake... as have other people
in the school system here. PLEASE don't ship 9.0 unless it's
STABLE. And please stop making massive changes to basic admin
tools like RPMDrake. It worked wonderfully well for us in 8.2.
Now, as far as I'm concerned, it's sadly broken.

Best regards,

Tom