On Fri, 10 Jan 2003 18:47:32 -0500 Jason Straight
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Friday 10 January 2003 12:41 pm, Buchan Milne wrote:
> > Who cares about the media, it's trivial in cost to the devices
> > required to read the media.
> >
> > Especially consider that a user buying a boxed set (AFIAK, boxed sets
> > were also 700MB) shouldn't be forced to buy a new CD-ROM drive just
> > because Mandrakesoft wanted to ship one less CD.
> >
> > If you have an affected drive, Mandrake 9.0 was a nightmare. I say
> > this after having done about 10 intalls on machines which were fine,
> > not seeing what all the fuss is about, to discover it really is a
> > problem on some machines.
>
> Man this talk about iso size is petty, it's the price to pay for
> progress, deal with it. Should distribute on tapes? 360K floppies? 720K
> floppies? 1.44mb floppies? 650MB CD's, 700MB CD's? and in 5 years do you
> think they'll be using CD's at all?

OK... let's take your non-petty argument farther... what kind of market
share will Mdk have if they release 9.1 on DVD only...?  That's
progress...  why not just go for it...?  <sigh>

We're not talking about media several iterations back; we're talking about
the current/recent stuff...  1.44 & 650MB are ubiquitous; 700MB and DVD
aren't yet.  That's what needs to be dealt with to maintain and grow
market share.

Pierre