On Mon, 19 Jun 2023 16:11:12 GMT, Sean Coffey <coff...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> src/java.base/share/classes/sun/launcher/SecuritySettings.java line 66:
>>
>>> 64:                 ostream.println("Unrecognized security subcommand. See
>>> \"java -X\" for help");
>>> 65:                 ostream.println("Printing all security settings");
>>> 66:                 printAllSecurityConfig();
>>
>> The error message is going to get lost in the volume of settings.
>> Allowing bad command input reinforces learning the wrong suboption; though
>> it may duplicate the help, I'd print the allowed options.
>
> @RogerRiggs  - do you mean to print nothing in the "bad command input"
> scenario ? The current -XshowSettings launch behaviour prints all data if a
> bad value is passed to it. I was mimicking this for security subcommands.
>
> Are you suggesting to print the relevant part of the "java -X" help menu here
> or is restoring the message with value subcommands sufficient ?

Restoring the message with value subcommands is what I would prefer.
I do disagree with the original choice of printing everything if the command is
wrong and would not propagate that behavior to the new command.
Separately, I would consider changing the existing behavior but I suspect that
would fail to achieve consensus based on compatibility concerns.

PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/14394#discussion_r1234344945