Zoe M. Gillenwater wrote:

> I won't get into what my goals are in general -- that's irrelevant --
>  but I will say that I agree completely with Al's point: you
> completely defeat the purpose of using ems for widths if #2 is one of
>  your goals. Again, there's nothing wrong with goal #2, but it has
> nothing to do with ems.

I think you have missed the original question somehow. Since that
question was about using ems for dimensioning, then that's what
However, a well-working "catch all" solution should also be presented,
since there is one. I don't think that has gotten through yet.

Maybe better read up on how ems can be used, while avoiding horizontal
scroll-bars and off-screen content...
<http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/200504/fixed_or_fluid_width_elastic/>
...and you can even test its proportional qualities if you have wide
enough screens.

regards
        Georg
--