On 8/26/2009 1:30 AM, david wrote:
> Nice, cool color selection. Almost made me wish for a bright color
> somewhere!
I know what you mean about the absence of bright colors. I wrestle with
that issue, but never really seem to come up with a solution that I
like. Since I'm not a graphic designer, I can't create fun little bugs
with which to litter the pages, but acres of raw text can get tedious no
matter how well the rest of the color scheme works.

If you have any suggestions...

> Looked at it in FF3 on Linux. The serif font against the background
> had me squinting until I kicked the font size up a couple of steps
> (the strokes of the letters are thin, the color contrast between the
> thin letter strokes and background is low). Increasing the line
> spacing to 1.3 helped quite a bit. Getting rid of the dotty (to me)
> background helped more.
>
> Since text is your main content, I think increasing readability of the
> text would be a good idea.
Ah, yes -- Linux... I have to admit, I cheated here, and this was a good
reminder. I've got a Linux box, and I do a lot of work on it.
Unfortunately, font support on Linux is pretty bad. So my solution was
to install the same set of fonts I run on my Windows machines -- at
which point everything looked really nice, and I forgot how much I hated
it before.

I tried bumping up the line height like you suggested, but it just
created really obnoxious rivers on my system. I'm guessing this is all
related to the font choice(s).

Re. the background... I've been looking for a suitable replacement --
something that gives a subtle texture instead of being a solid color, or
something that stands out -- unfortunately, I have yet to find anything
that really works. I think your comment is the first negative one I've
ever gotten about it. If anything, it's so light that the problem people
have is that they can't see it. I'll keep the "dotty-ness" in mind.

> Maybe this would be a contact to get some work on the ice? ;-)
> http://www.usap.gov/
LOL -- that's great! I'll have to keep that in mind, if I ever get back
into the business.

Thanks for all your comments,

  michael