Tom Livingston wrote:

> I should have mentioned that the inline font styling we do is
> generally set on the <td> tag. With the possible need to repeat on
> elements inside the <td> such as <li>s, but it's been a bit since I
> was in an email so I'm not remembering it all.
>
> Above all, test, test, and then test.
>
> We use emailonacid.com, and I know there are other similar tools.

Tom, you have a living to earn, and I am sure that many will sympathise
with your wish to keep your clients happy by fiddling and faffing with
the HTML and CSS until it render perfectly in every so-called
smart'phone, tablet, and whatever the next generation of chip-based
must haves will be called.  But do you not also feel that by so doing,
you are making life easier for the manufacturer's at the expense of your
own time, and everybody else's ?  All the while developers such as
your good self are prepared to pander to and mollycoddle half-baked
immature technology, there is no pressure at all on the manufacturers
to get their acts together and design their toys so that they are
standards-compliant.  Would we (the HTML/CSS authoring community) not
do far better to stand together and to say to the manufacturers
"We code to W3C standards; if your toys can't render it properly,
employ /real/ programmers and get them fixed" ?

Philip Taylor