On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 9:13 AM, Philip Taylor <p.tay...@rhul.ac.uk> wrote:

> Tom Livingston wrote:
>
>> I should have mentioned that the inline font styling we do is
>> generally set on the <td> tag. With the possible need to repeat on
>> elements inside the <td> such as <li>s, but it's been a bit since I
>> was in an email so I'm not remembering it all.
>>
>> Above all, test, test, and then test.
>>
>> We use emailonacid.com, and I know there are other similar tools.
>
> Tom, you have a living to earn, and I am sure that many will sympathise
> with your wish to keep your clients happy by fiddling and faffing with
> the HTML and CSS until it render perfectly in every so-called
> smart'phone, tablet, and whatever the next generation of chip-based
> must haves will be called.  But do you not also feel that by so doing,
> you are making life easier for the manufacturer's at the expense of your
> own time, and everybody else's ?  All the while developers such as
> your good self are prepared to pander to and mollycoddle half-baked
> immature technology, there is no pressure at all on the manufacturers
> to get their acts together and design their toys so that they are
> standards-compliant.  Would we (the HTML/CSS authoring community) not
> do far better to stand together and to say to the manufacturers
> "We code to W3C standards; if your toys can't render it properly,
> employ /real/ programmers and get them fixed" ?
>
> Philip Taylor

Wow. OK. Well, I don't know what information that I mentioned or
linked to that would be considered bad or something the w3c would balk
at as I believe they talk about MQs on their site as well. I'm just
offering a way to use them in a new place. But if you don't think
responsive emails aren't a good idea, that's certainly your right and
I don't think you - or anyone else - has to build them.

I believe I mentioned that the articles have information relative to
the OP's question whether or not he's doing responsive emails.

I posted an option, and possibly some help for the OP. That's all. If
you don't agree, I'm OK with that.

I agree it would be great for manufactures to get together and do it
right, and in the same way, but I can't wait around for that and must
deliver what is expected and asked of me and I don't think I'm the
only one in that position. This can't be the first time on this list
someone offered help that may be "edgy".

If you are in a position to say no to clients or pick and choose
clients and projects then I'm a bit envious. I, however, am not.

I stated that I agree certain methods are safer and more stable, but
there are other options that are working. Email clients are not
progressing at the same rate as browsers, in my opinion, so I think
it's fair to find ways to get around limits to keep up with all these
devices you mention that are out there now. Maybe, by pushing our
methods, we can push the manufactures to do what you are saying.

If I misread your post's intent, then I apologize for my tone.

--

Tom Livingston | Senior Front-End Developer | Media Logic |
ph: 518.456.3015x231 | fx: 518.456.4279 | mlinc.com