Tom Livingston wrote:

> If I misread your post's intent, then I apologize for my tone.

Your tone was absolutely fine, Tom, and no offense was clearly intended,
nor was any taken.  But I do think you may have misunderstood my
message.  I am not advocating eschewing media queries, or any similar
technology that allows a page to customise itself to the target device
and/or viewport.  What I do think is "pandering to the manufacturers"
is using inline styles because they are too lazy to parse styles found
in the <head> region, repeating styles in inner elements because they
are too lazy to implement inheritance properly, and so on.

** Phil.