-Caveat Lector-

on 10/03/02 3:14 PM, thew at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> -Caveat Lector-
>>
>>> How do you explain the non-Jews I know who have moved to Israel with no
>>> problems? I have never seen any evidence of barring non-Jews from
>>> immigrating, or becoming citizens. I'm not trying to be dishonest. I
>> think
>>> you are factually wrong here.
>>
>> Israel has a legal policy forbidding immigration by non-Jews. Yes,
>> non -Jews
>> can get permission to reside in Israel if they have a good reason, mostly
>> for business or academic reasons - but they cannot become citizens.
>

> I'm pretty sure you are just out and out wrong on this fact. I will check
> though - but I'm fairly positive this is incorrect.

This is all I found so far - not definitive yet, but I am still looking  - I
also sent an email to the Israeli Ministry of Immigration - will let you
know when I hear back from them:

"In 1975, the UN General Assembly adopted a resolution slandering Zionism by
equating it with racism. In his spirited response to the resolution,
Israel's Ambassador to the UN, Chaim Herzog noted the irony of the timing,
the vote coming exactly 37 years after Kristallnacht.

Zionism is the national liberation movement of the Jewish people, which
holds that Jews, like any other nation, are entitled to a homeland.

History has demonstrated the need to ensure Jewish security through a
national homeland. Zionism recognizes that Jewishness is defined by shared
origin, religion, culture and history. The realization of the Zionist dream
is exemplified by more than five million Jews, from more than 100 countries,
who are Israeli citizens.

Israel's Law of Return grants automatic citizenship to Jews, but non-Jews
are also eligible to become citizens under naturalization procedures similar
to those in other countries. Approximately 1,000,000 Muslim and Christian
Arabs, Druze, Baha'is, Circassians and other ethnic groups also are
represented in Israel's population. The presence in Israel of thousands of
dark-skinned Jews from Ethiopia, Yemen and India is the best refutation of
the calumny against Zionism. In a series of historic airlifts, labeled Moses
(1984), Joshua (1985) and Solomon (1991), Israel rescued almost 42,000
members of the ancient Ethiopian Jewish community.

Zionism does not discriminate against anyone. Israel's open and democratic
character, and its scrupulous protection of the religious and political
rights of Christians and Muslims, rebut the charge of exclusivity. Moreover,
anyone ‹ Jew or non-Jew, Israeli, American, or Saudi, black, white, yellow
or purple ‹ can be a Zionist.
Writing after "Operation Moses" was revealed, William Safire noted:

³...For the first time in history, thousands of black people are being
brought to a country not in chains but in dignity, not as slaves but as
citizens.²18

By contrast, the Arab states define citizenship strictly by native
parentage. It is almost impossible to become a naturalized citizen in many
Arab states, especially Algeria, Saudi Arabia and Kuwait. Several Arab
nations have laws that facilitate the naturalization of foreign Arabs, with
the specific exception of Palestinians. Jordan, on the other hand,
instituted its own "law of return" in 1954, according citizenship to all
former residents of Palestine, except for Jews.19

He who does not prefer exile to slavery is not free by any measure of
freedom, truth and duty.

                   Kahil Gibran, Spirits Rebellious

NEURONAUTIC INSTITUTE on-line: http://home.earthlink.net/~thew