Hello Aaron,

Aaron Stone wrote:

> ""Gerrit P. Haase"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>> Hello Ilja,
>>
>>> Of course, there's no such thing as triggers in MySQL.. *sigh*
>>
>> Drop MySQL support and add support for e.g. Sybase or Oracle or DB2 or
>> MSSQL or all of them.

> That's just silly for two reasons.

> First and foremost, Sybase, Oracle, DB2 and MSSQL all cost $$$$$$$$. If I

No, that is not true, Sybase Adaptive Server f. Linux is free. DB2 is
available as an 'Express' version for free, MSSQL engine is available
free for everyone, Oracle personal edition is kind of free, cannot
remember the exact license.

But you may also try to keep it all compatible with MySQL and never
use advanced RDBMS features like subselects, foreign keys, triggers,
stored procedures, ...

> had a Euro symbol on my keyboard I'd add a bunch of those, too. Although
> Sybase has just come out in a free (also libre?) version, there is nothing
> for us to gain by jumping on board a ship that isn't sailing yet.

Not open source, but free to use.  The only thing needed to support
all standard databases would be ODBC support in dbmail and some
specific SQL scripts to init the tables in the database.

> MySQL is a great platform; it's easy to use, insanely fast and has single
> handedly made SQL and RDBMS technology available to the masses i.e. those
> without tens of thousands of dollars in DBA training. Although MySQL lacks
> a number of features that DBMail can benefit from, those features can be
> worked around or just saved for later when MySQL stable includes them.
> Triggers work quite well in the MySQL 4.1 series.

MySQL is not great, it is crap, of course it is fast, but it lacks
most important features.  Real SQL is available as open sopurce to the
masses without MySQL too, get PostgreSQL which is a real database, or
get Firebird or Ozelot.

Ergo: there are many other free open sourced SQL conform database
servers that it never should be neccessary to use MySQL.

E.g. what do I need DBA training for SQL Server?  To issue a command
like createdb?  I suggest reading the documentation included with
Sybase or any other database vendor, there are more informations as
you need to administer their products.  In fact I was able to setup a
Sybase database server in less than ten minutes when I did it the
first time where it lasts one hour to do so with MySQL because of the
lack of documentation included with the MySQL package.

Gerrit
--
=^..^=