Hello Micah,

>> My point is that dbmail is unusable like it is, I have a really fast
>> P4 server and I'm running dbmail with postgres, that works ok, though
>> retrieving mail via imap is somewhat slow,  and I have also an old P3
>> with only 700MHz where it is not possible to use dbmail / postgres /
>> imapd + client at the same time because of performance issues.

> Really? On my biggest server, I'm running apache, mysql, bind, dbmail
> (POP+IMAP), postfix and a few other misc programs for over 75 domains on a
> 1.2ghz machine with only 1 gig of RAM, and it works fine, bareley struggles
> at all. Granted it's not a huge installation, but how much mail were you
> managing on that P3?

> Just curious. Seemed a little odd, but you didn't mention specifics, maybe
> you're dealing with several million accounts or something else that's slowing
> things down.

Ok, I'm running this on Windows using Cygwin postgres / dbmail,
everything is usually 10 to 100 times slower, but I know that database
applications can run fast on Windows too.  Sure, Cygwin slows down
things.  I installed it on the Windows box for testing, at least it
builds ok and it runs.  But often dbmail seems to hang.  It finally
finishes the work but I suspect htere to be some serious problems.

Thats the reason why I started the thread about 'Threads support', on
Windows using threads is very fast and speeds things up about 10 to
100 times and then it would be as fast as it is now on Linux.

> I agree that IMAP is a little laggy. It's definitely the weak point in the
> system at this point, but it should get a lot better pretty soon. I haven't
> had too much trouble with it though.

I see the problems with dbmail /imap running on Cygwin (with me as
single imap user), I'm preparing a Linux box currently to see the
difference myself.  I cannot believe that it is ten or more times
faster there, e.g. it lasts about an hour to build perl including the
testsuite, on Linux it is just two times faster.

Gerrit
--
=^..^=