Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

Ok, I'm running this on Windows using Cygwin postgres / dbmail,
everything is usually 10 to 100 times slower, but I know that database
applications can run fast on Windows too.  Sure, Cygwin slows down
things.  I installed it on the Windows box for testing, at least it
builds ok and it runs.  But often dbmail seems to hang.  It finally
finishes the work but I suspect htere to be some serious problems.
At this point I would recomend installing the PostgreSQL 8.0 beta that has native support for Windows. Even though it's still a beta I think it performs better and is probably more reliable than the cygwin port. Please give it a try and let me know if you are still having problems.

BTW is there any reason we cant' have a native windows port of DBMail?

Thats the reason why I started the thread about 'Threads support', on
Windows using threads is very fast and speeds things up about 10 to
100 times and then it would be as fast as it is now on Linux.

Care to substantiate that comment? Please provide a concrete example of where threads are that much faster and under what situation. Threads are not a magic solution, they have some upsides but they also have some very serious downsides, and they are a major change to the dbmail code.