On 10/23/2015 3:21 PM, Ehsan Akhgari wrote:
Except that to demand contributors don't care about comm-central would
be to demand of your employees that they should be jerks to the wider
open-source community.

As pointed out by others, this is completely untrue, and I personally think that framing the problem like this isn't the most helpful.
Even if the module owners didn't actively write the patches themselves, they'd still have to deal with the inquiries and reviews by comm-central authors, which, given the asymmetry of knowledge, is likely to take as much if not more of their time in total. If they aren't to spend time on comm-central, then that's saying nothing less than they shouldn't even talk to us and ignore any patches we request--in other words, saying that they should be jerks.

Please note that even if we move the code into m-c, we will continue to break it (unintentionally) so Thunderbird will still see regressions caused by "upstream" changes that they need to deal with.

While I'd like that this not be the case, I've long ago accepted that this will continue to be the case. Nothing about this proposal was ever intended to change this.

--
Joshua Cranmer
Thunderbird and DXR developer