Ehsan Akhgari wrote:
> On 2015-10-23 2:17 PM, Joshua Cranmer 🐧 wrote:
>> It's a relatively easy matter to fix the first; the second is harder to
>> do for all contributors. I've been told it's a coming feature, but I've
>> been told this for a while.
>>
>> I also wonder why you have a peculiar insistence that comm-central code
>> must not appear to any contributor, given the continued existence of
>> "stuff that Firefox doesn't care about" in mozilla-central, such as
>> support for tier-3 platforms (do we still have QT code in the tree) or
>> xulrunner. The mere presence of code in a codebase has proven to be
>> horribly insufficient to guarantee that people care about maintaining
>> it--history has time and time and time again shown that any code that
>> doesn't impact Treeherder results *WILL* get broken. (Easiest case in
>> point: try building without unified files.)
>
> What matters more about what code remains in the tree and what code
> doesn't is whether it's maintained.  We have in the past removed code
> for these tier3 ports and products when they have been unmaintained
> (example: bug 969757) and we should be doing more of that.
>
> What are the long term plans for the Thunderbird and SeaMonkey community
> to maintain their code, if it gets merged into m-c?  On tb-planning I
> see ongoing discussions about moving to other platforms such as
> Electron, or the broader doubts about how Thunderbird wants to deal with
> future upcoming changes such as the current add-ons?

The SeaMonkey community is still maintaining the code; it's just that
we haven't been able to do it that effectively the past year due to
the fact that we're behind in the infrastructure setup and we've been
trying to keep our tree unbroken due to changes in m-*.  That said,
I really appreciate those who also lent a hand to help SeaMonkey's
trees become green(or relatively green with a hint of orange and red).

As for the long term plans, I'll wait for one of the SeaMonkey
council members to comment on that; but I believe we are determined
to maintain the SeaMonkey code.

Edmund

Edmund