Ryan,

If you look at the wide range of user agents accessing google.com today you'd
see many legacy applications and older versions of browsers and custom browsers
built from variants of the commercial browsers.  By the time all/most users
upgraded to new browsers, it would be time to change the roots out again and
this will impact the ability for web site operators to enable TLS for all
visitors.

Before we can implement a short Root usage policy we'd need to convince all
browsers to follow a process for rapid updates of root stores.  GlobalSign
visitors use Nokia, NetFront, SeaMonkey, Amazon Silk, Blackberry and others,
and assume ecommerce sites have even more legacy user agents (at percentages
they cannot ignore).  We'd need to be sure that these vendors change how they
manage their root stores before we move to short use Roots (maybe some of them
relay on the underlying operating system already and these are not all an
issue).

Mobile devices will perhaps be the most challenging as their OS support
lifetime is relatively short but users hang onto them for longer.  For example,
Android 4.1 and 4.2 account for about 7% of the Android market share:
  https://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html
Android browser has about 6% market share:
  https://www.netmarketshare.com/browser-market-share.aspx?qprid=1&qpcustomb=1
but Android 4.1 and 4.2 are no longer supported:

https://www.extremetech.com/mobile/197346-google-throws-nearly-a-billion-android-users-under-the-bus-refuses-to-patch-os-vulnerability

Sure, 6% of 7% is around .5%, so in itself not a huge driver, but add up the
other unsupported Android versions and those of all other mobile devices and
this will become more meaningful.

Under your proposal, how would you see mobile device manufacturers as well as
OS and browser vendors supporting the requirement to keep updating root stores
even after the end of support?

Doug