Thanks Rob and Ryan for pointing that out.  Will the web servers need to send
down a group of cross certs and then let the client use the ones they need in
order to chain up to a root in their local trust store since the web server
might not know which roots it has?

From: Alex Gaynor [mailto:agay...@mozilla.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 10:31 AM
To: Rob Stradling <rob.stradl...@comodo.com>
Cc: Doug Beattie <doug.beat...@globalsign.com>; r...@sleevi.com; Peter Gutmann
<pgut...@cs.auckland.ac.nz>; Gervase Markham <g...@mozilla.org>; Nick Lamb
<tialara...@gmail.com>; MozPol <mozilla-dev-security-pol...@lists.mozilla.org>;
Cory Benfield <c...@lukasa.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [FORGED] Re: Configuring Graduated Trust for Non-Browser
Consumption

While the internet is moderately good at handling a single cross-sign (modulo
the challenges we had with 1024-bit root deprecation due to a bug in OpenSSL's
path building -- now fixed), as we extend the chains, it seems evident to me
that server operators are unlikely to configure their servers to serve a chain
which works on all clients -- the likely result is clients will need AIA
chasing. Most (all?) non-browsers do not implement AIA chasing. This isn't an
objection, just a flag and a potential action item on the "non-browser" side of
this.
Alex

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 10:27 AM, Rob Stradling