On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 10:24 AM, Alex Gaynor <agay...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> Hi Ryan,
>
> I've lost the thread on how this addresses Cory's original problem
> statement, if you could spell that out that'd be very helpful.

Sure, the original problem statement arises from the fact that CAs have
'limited trust' applied to them, and wanting to express this for use in
other applications which consume the Mozilla trust store.

First and foremost, in order for that limited trust to be
relevant/applicable, we must presume these clients are capable of being
updated. If they weren't, any expression of limited trust would be
irrelevant, since they wouldn't consume the update. At best, it would
simply ensure that, at a fixed point in time (e.g. when the application was
built), to the best of the app devs knowledge, all roots were constrained
appropriately.

As we've seen from CA issues - whether Symantec or the top 5 CAs
responsible for >90% of the Web's public trust - there's a whole host of
complex scenarios involved with distrusting. Cory's problem also
highlighted that there are a host of non-web consumers of the Mozilla trust
store, and their compatibility needs are different.

By posing the 'shorter lived root' scenario, we get to a scenario where a
device that is staying up to date (e.g. tracking the Mozilla store at a
frequency where 'limited trust' is applicable) is able to migrate off
'problematic' roots sooner, by providing a transition path that is
constantly moving forward. Thus, rather than needing to express 'limited
trust' for roots (which otherwise remain trusted), we provide a faster path
to distrusting the problematic roots, independent of whatever trust is
afforded the organization (which might have 'new' roots that are
less/unconstrained)

This is in conjunction with the expressions already found in certdata.txt
which applications can use (e.g. name constraints). It doesn't address
scenarios like whitelisting (e.g. CNNIC), since those are
application-specific anyways. The proposal is meant to, in parallel, reduce
the 'legacy compat risk' by providing a path to allow both 'legacy' and
'modern' clients to operate side-by-side, without indefinite expressions of
constraints on 'legacy' roots.