On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 10:34 AM, Doug Beattie <doug.beat...@globalsign.com>
wrote:

> Thanks Rob and Ryan for pointing that out.  Will the web servers need to
> send down a group of cross certs and then let the client use the ones they
> need in order to chain up to a root in their local trust store since the
> web server might not know which roots it has?

Doug:

Yes, that was the substance of the original proposal, when it posed the
following:

On Y3, you generate new root and new intermediate, and then cross-sign,
> such that you have
> (old root) -> (old intermediate) -> (old existing certs)
>                -> (new root) -> (new intermediate) -> (new leaf certs)
> Sites can either rely on AIA (Ideal, but unfortunately, not yet supported
> by Mozilla) or simply supply the full chain (less ideal, wasteful on
> bandwidth and caching), of either
> (site cert) -> (new intermediate) -> (new root) [the AIA path]
> (site cert) -> (new intermediate) -> (new root) -> (old root) [the slow,
> compatibility path]

The important point in this is that there should not be a non-linear path
of trust (which is implied, I think, by the reading of "group of
cross-certs"). But yes, there would be a linearized path.

Unquestionably, this means that performance gets worse for sites who
support clients that do not support AIA and who serve the extra
(potentially unnecessary) chains. This does put a certain pressure on these
clients _to_ support AIA, and the performance implications would only
become worse the longer the legacy clients exist. However, if/when 'enough'
clients support AIA (or automatic updates), the performance costs
evaporate. This helps create a virtuous cycle in which site operators are
incentivized to support clients that support AIA/automatic updates, and
software developers are incentivized to provide clients that support
AIA/automatic updates :)