On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 2:12 PM, Rob Stradling <rob.stradl...@comodo.com>
wrote:

> Regarding AIA->caIssuers, RFC5280 says:
>   'Conforming applications that support HTTP or FTP for accessing
>    certificates MUST be able to accept individual DER encoded
>    certificates and SHOULD be able to accept "certs-only" CMS messages.'
>
> Out of interest, which particular clients chase AIA->caIssuers HTTP URLs
> but ignore that "SHOULD"?
> (I know CryptoAPI has accepted "certs-only" CMS messages since XP, but
> I've not checked any other implementations).

Selfishly, Chrome :)

Less selfishly, macOS (see tpIssuerCertViaNet, which just creates a
TPCertInfo with the response data, aka 'DER-encoded X.509v3 cert')

Even the NSS implementation (by way of libpkix's AIA mgr
calling CERT_DecodeCertPackage) doesn't "properly" implement the defined
bits :) Just enough to get you close enough ;)

> What is the advantage of that, given that PKCS#7 involves
>> BER, it introduces C/C2/C3, and you're still supplying the same number of
>> certs?
>>
> I don't think there is any notable advantage.
>
> I asked the question because I thought it would be useful to enumerate the
> reasons why "there should not be a non-linear path" rather than just assume
> it to be fact.  ;-)

You mean I can't just spout opinion here without substantiating it? ;)