Just chiming in as another subscriber and relying party, with a view to
speaking to the other subscribers on this topic.

To the extent that your use case is not specifically the WebPKI as pertains
to modern browsers, it was clear to me quite several years ago and gets
clearer every day: the WebPKI is not for you, us, or anyone outside that
very particular scope.

Want to pin server cert public keys in an app?  Have a separate TLS
endpoint for that with an industry or org specific private PKI behind it.

Make website endpoints that need to face broad swathes of public users’ web
browsers participate in the WebPKI.  Get client certs and API endpoints out
of it.

That was the takeaway I had quite some years ago and I’ve been saved much
grief for having moved that way.

On Saturday, July 4, 2020, Ryan Sleevi via dev-security-policy <