On Saturday, July 4, 2020 at 3:43:22 PM UTC-7, Ryan Sleevi wrote:
> > Thank you for explaining that.  We need to hear the official position from
> > Google.  Ryan Hurst are you out there?

Although Ryan Sleevi has already pointed this out, since I was named
explicitly, I wanted to respond and re-affirm that I am not responsible for
Chrome's (or anyone else's) root program. I represent Google Trust Services
(GTS), a Certificate Authority (CA) that is subject to the same requirements as
any other WebPKI CA.

While I am watching this issue closely, as I do all WebPKI related incidents,
since this is not an issue that directly impacts GTS I have chosen to be a
quiet observer.

With that said, as a long time member of the WebPKI, and in a personal
capacity, I would say one of the largest challenges in operating a CA is how to
handle incidents when they occur. In every incident, I try to keep in mind is
that a CAs ultimate responsibility is to the users that rely on the
certificates they issue.

This means when balancing the impact of decisions a CA should give weight to
protecting those users. This reality unfortunately also means that sometimes it
is necessary to take actions that may cause pain for the subscribers they
provide services to.

Wherever possible a CA should minimize pain on the relying party but more times
than not, the decision to use the WebPKI for these non-browser TLS use cases
was done to externalize the costs of deploying a dedicated PKI that is fit for
purpose and as with most trade-offs there may be later consequences to that
decision.

As for my take on this topic, I think Peter Bowen has done an excellent job
capturing the issue, it's risks, origins, and the choices available.