On Feb 17, 2012, at 2:18 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 5:05 PM, Ralph Goers
> <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>wrote:
>

>> On Feb 17, 2012, at 1:17 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:

>>> I'm happy to change the style to what we both seem to consider normal
>> but I
>>> am not sure what the rest of the community feels like...
>>
>> That seems like way too much effort for very little benefit.  In fact,
>> when I created the checkstyle configuration I started from the one used by
>> Commons Configuration and then tweaked it to shut up a bunch of the
>> "errors" I didn't care about and that seemed to have been the convention of
>> the existing code base.  I'd prefer that all of commons use the same
>> checkstyle configuration.
>>

> +1, that would be great, we could put it in the parent POM and be done with
> it once and for all.
>
> Can you have a checkstyle.xml reused that way?

Not easily.  If you look at how the checkstyle.xml is used in VFS you will see
it is a bit of a hack. The plugin has

<configLocation>${vfs.parent.dir}/checkstyle.xml</configLocation>

In the parent the variable is defined as "." and in each module it is defined
as needed to get it to the root.  If it is in commons parent it would have to
be somewhere on the disk that it could be located.

the other way to do it is the way it is documented at
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-checkstyle-plugin/examples/multi-module-config.html
 and requires a separate project just for checkstyle. I've always hated this
solution but for a project like commons it probably makes the most sense.

Ralph