From:   David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
To:     Apache Brand Management <tradema...@apache.org>
Cc:     Cordova Dev <dev@cordova.apache.org>, Ross Gardler
<ross.gard...@microsoft.com>
Date:   05/29/2014 04:15 PM
Subject:        Re: Apache Cordova "Translated using Microsoft Bing
Translation"...

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 1:44 PM, Lisa Seacat DeLuca <ldel...@us.ibm.com>
wrote:
Cordova/Apache Team~

As many of you are aware, we are using Crowdin to translate our
documentation into multiple languages.  When we are nearly 100% translated
we utilize some machine translation within the crowdin tool to finish off
the translations.  Currently we are using the free level within Microsoft
Translator service which includes 2 Million characters a month.  As we add
support for additional languages and provide translations across the
multiple platforms and plugins we quickly hit that 2 million character
limit.  I have spoken with the Microsoft Translator team and they have
graciously agreed to support our project by providing us with the 64M
character level a month at no cost.  In return, they ask that we
acknowledge the use of Microsoft Translator for our translations.

I'm writing to see if anyone sees any reason why this is something we
cannot do.  I have CC'ed the Apache trademarks email to make sure they
don't have any issues from an Apache point of view.

In summary, we would have a blurb on our documentation or main website(s)
that says something such as the following

"Apache Cordova documentation is available in multiple languages courtesy
of Crowdin and Microsoft Translator"
or
"Thanks to Crowdin and Microsoft Translator we are able to offer the
Apache Cordova documentation in multiple languages"

Thoughts? (please do not use this thread to debate the pros and cons of
using Machine Translation)

Lisa

Lisa Seacat DeLuca
Mobile Engineer | t: +415.787.4589 | ldel...@apache.org | |
ldel...@us.ibm.com | lisaseacat.com | |

Hi Lisa:

I don't see a problem with the 'Thanks'
Are we sure that we can use the machine translation from an IP
perspective?

(I added Ross as I spoke to him about this question at ApacheCon and he
was going to ferret an answer)

--David