On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 5:08 PM, David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us> wrote:
> On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 5:05 PM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>> On 29/05/2014 21:40, Lisa Seacat DeLuca wrote:
>>> "Are we sure that we can use the machine translation from an IP
>>> perspective? "
>>>
>>> Yes, I spoke to Olivier Fontana (added to the CC list) who is the
>>> Director of Product Strategy and Marketing, Machine Translation group,
>>> at Microsoft Research about whether or not there were any licensing
>>> concerns with the output of the documentation that went through the
>>> Machine Translation tool and he said there was not an issue and that we
>>> would still "own the content" as long as we didn't take the result to
>>> build our own language model that might be used as a competitor to
>>> Microsoft's machine translation service... which we do not intend to do.
>>
>> I hate to rain on your parade but any restriction on how the result is
>> used that goes further than the (very few) restrictions in the ALv2
>> means that the result it can't be licensed under the ALv2 and that will
>> cause problems.

Let me clarify the restriction to assist in deliberation.

Step 1: Cordova pushes a lot of text through Bing translate and published it.
Step 2: Some third party scrapes the web site in both languages,
aligns the results, and adds it to an MT corpus.
Step 3: Microsoft is unhappy.

HOWEVER,

I find it hard to believe that MS imposes this constraint in this
instance. It's one thing to tell a direct user of the API that they
can't go training models. This would seem to require any web site that
used Bing translate to have a TOS forbidding training MT engines on
the multiple languages. I'd clarify if MS is really asking for that.