On 21/01/2007, at 8:26 PM, Ain Vagula wrote:

Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:

On 21 janv. 07, at 18:21, Pavel Janík wrote:

Is it really necessary to subscribe to and read so many mailing
lists, in order to do a reasonable job as a translator?

You don't need to subscribe to the mailing list to be able to read
it so your question doesn't make sense.

It is not her question that does not make sense, but the original
answer: "subscribe there to get the info to your one and only question".

I feel that you have never worked in so large project like OOo is.

I don't want to talk for Clytie because she is big enough to do that
herself, but your feeling is wrong.

Or maybe you mean "messy" by "large", in which case, you may be
right. As I pointed out earlier today: plenty of redundant
information all over the place, but to get _the_ tiny bit the one
misses the suggestion is to subscribe to _yet_ another mailing list...

I also dont want to speak for anyone but Clytie's good writing style can be
very useful for improving OLH overall quality.
Translators are all the time giving feedback to Help authors, as we must read Help really carefully to translate it and even check is this all true
what is written. So we participate in docs project, do we want it or
not. :)
Btw, docs-devel mailing list is also mirrored via news.gmane.org newsserver.

Thanks to both JC and Ain for their replies. :)

I am indeed involved in several other large free-software projects, notably Debian, GNOME and KDE. For each of those, I only have to sub. to or read 3 mailing lists: this covers all announcements relevant to my job as localizer/team leader, and all localization matters, including the localization of Help and other documentation.

I would be the last person to claim that Debian is a model of organization ;), but despite its distributed nature, its i18n work is extremely well-organized. We are not adversely affected by the loose overall Debian structure at all. Heartfelt thanks go to people like Christian Perrier and Frans Pop, who have done and continue to do sterling work for deb18n.

GNOME and KDE, however, are well-organized throughout. Their i18n work is again, extremely and impressively well-organized. Any other project can learn from their approach and practice.

So I _am_ surprised and somewhat discouraged by the difficulty of finding definitive information in OpenOffice.org. The new volunteer has to comb different lists and ask specific questions to find startup information s/he would normally be supplied with on joining any other project with which I am involved. I am one of the people who writes those "welcome" emails, so I do know how it works. I have spoken about this on other mailing lists, notably [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I strongly recommend each project draft a "Welcome" email which summarizes the goals and policy of that project (very brief), then lists links to the basic information each project member needs to know in order to function effectively in that project. It is not difficult to create such mails, but I do not understand any of the projects in OpenOffice.org well enough yet to do so. So I ask those who do, to create these mails. I also strongly recommend the basic information listed in that email be linked from the homepage of that project.

But where do I make such a recommendation? I've now made it on two OpenOffice.org mailing lists. Where do I go from here?

We do not have an effective hierarchy of information in OpenOffice.org. Information may be there (although often it is not : ( ), but people can't readily find it. We can do better than that.