Aiet Kolkhi ha scritto:
> Ciao Alessandro!
>
> sorry for the mix up ;)
>
> yes, the syntax of PO files is very simple. And WordForge project has
> created Translate Toolkit that enables converting to GNU Gettext PO
> files from great many formats.
>
> This is how a simple terminology PO file entry can look like:
>
> #. "Any piece of information (text, graphics, executable) put together
> and given a name. All the information you have on the hard drive is
> arranged as a collection of files."
> msgid "File"
> msgstr "Lima"
>
> The text after # sign is merely an explanation and is not needed by
> Pootle. The important lines are: msgid, followed by the original word
> in double quotes, and msgstr, followed by translation in double
> quotes.
>
> So it should be fairly easy to convert any text-based list to PO.

I'd been told before that it should be quite easy to convert a txt into
PO but unfortunately I don't know how to do it.

Basically what I have is a long list of terms and expressions in two
tab-separated columns, one for the English version and one for the
Italian translation. Something like this:

fraction        frazione
fraction        divisore
fraction bar    linee di frazione
frame   frame
frame   cornice
frame contents  contenuto cornice

I understand that a PO files with these entries would look something
like this:

msgid "fraction"
msgstr "frazione"

msgid "fraction"
msgstr "divisore"

msgid "fraction bar"
msgstr "linee di frazione"

msgid "frame"
msgstr "frame"

msgid "frame"
msgstr "cornice"

msgid "frame contents"
msgstr "contenuto cornice"

Is that correct?

I assume it would be quite easy to write a script for that, but I can't
do it.

I have another question: how would Pootle manage two entries with two
different translations, such as "frame" above?

Ale.