On 29 févr. 08, at 15:20, Aijin Kim wrote:

Hi JC,

I guess what Ain mentioned was that 'msgctxt' option during oo2po saves the comment line in another field rather that adding to msgid fileld. Then there won't be no change with msgid string.

So for current po files, do you simply ignore the comment line in your translation?

As far as OmegaT is concerned, yes. But OmegaT is even weirder than that :)

Basically, OmegaT has been conceived for translating documents, monolingual documents. Not for working with intermediate localization formats.

Basically it works that way:
• It first parses the file, keeps the structure (skeleton) part in memory and puts all the translatable strings to the display. • The translator goes through segments one by one and types the translation by also referring to the available translation memories and glossaries. • When the translator wants to see the result, the translated files are build by using the skeleton in memory and by filling in with the translated strings. Anything that has not been translated is left with the source values.

The problem with PO or XLIFF etc, it is that the "skeleton" of the file has placeholders already for source and target. Which means that OmegaT should read what it sees in source, consider what is already in target and put the translation in target if necessary. PO includes in itself sort of a "TM" function by adding "fuzzy" strings and by keeping the whole legacy translation in itself. In OmegaT this TM part is handled totally separately because monolingual documents are not supposed to come with such embedded data, at least not in the current CAT world.

In the case of PO files, it needs to have empty msgstr so that it can pretend to work as for a "normal" monolingual document by considering exclusively the contents of msgid, and even if the msgstr is not empty it just ignores its contents (future developments are aiming at putting that contents automatically in TM):

The process is then: parse what is in msgid, display for translation, and _rewrite_ the whole file with msgid=msgstr for places that have not been translated yet...

Which is the reason why OmegaT is perfect for HTML, ODF and whatever is monolingual and works on a _document_ basis (cf the NetBeans l10n process), but not so good for intermediate or pre-processed formats (like the OOo and other PO based l10n processes).

Eventually, the dev team will work on the issue of intermediate formats. But right now OmegaT will work best with "proper" msgid and empty msgstr, with all the legacy contents put in TMX or glossaries. That is what OmegaT is good at handling :)

JC

Thanks,
Aijin

Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
Hi all,
Some strings of po files have a line  which was added to make each
msgid string be unique using --duplicates=msgid_comment option
during executing oo2po.
http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/toolkit/
duplicates_duplicatestyle

How can OmegaT or poedit handle the added line?

Since the string is a msgid it is handled as a source string and is
displayed as translatable.

... thats one reason we switched to msgctxt comment style, where
identifier is stored in separate field. See also
http://vagula.blogspot.com/2008/02/attention-to-community-translators.html

Ain,

Sorry I don't understand your comment. What Aijin asked is how does OmegaT (and POedit, which I don't use) handle tweaked msgid.

My reply was that it handles them as "normal" msgid. I did not see a reference to msgctxt.

Jean-Christophe Helary

Jean-Christophe Helary
K.K. DOUBLET