On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 9:10 AM, Mark Struberg <strub...@yahoo.de> wrote:
> Benson, you are wrong.
> The answer to this question is really not clear and depends on a much more
> then just the pure amount of code. There are lots of discussions around that
> lately on legal and we have lots of detailed if/whens. If we have the
> history, then we can do the check. Gladly github provides those.
>
> Also there is still the option to fork it over to apache-extras and fix it
> there.

Mark,

It seems to me that the net of your paragraph is to support my
argument. If the committers slapped an AL dual license on Aether
today, we could not just grab that code, with no further discussion,
examination, and clearance, and fork it back into Apache.

I spend a lot of time in the incubator, and the IP clearance policies
have been hashed on this subject very recently. A podling I'm trying
to launch has been told, in no uncertain terms, more or less what I
wrote, by the lead legal advisor.

Sure, if some of the code of some version of AEther was at ASF
originally, that code could be teased out and brought back. But that's
very different from 'oh, a dual license, we can grab it instantly.'

Want to send some thread references?

--benson