On Jul 28, 2011, at 11:03 AM, John Casey wrote:

> On 7/28/11 10:43 AM, Jason van Zyl wrote:
>>
>> On Jul 28, 2011, at 10:23 AM, Mark Struberg wrote:
>>
>>> The reason why no one committed to Aether beside yourself is partly that it
>>> requires to sign some CLA which only unilaterally grants rights (as we can
>>> certainly see now!).
>>
>> Have you read the Sonatype CLA? The contributor keeps retains copyright and
>> Sonatype is granted the license. Much the same way the Apache or Eclipse
>> CLAs work. We changed that a long time ago when Brett pointed it out.
>> Additionally Hervé and Kristian signed the CLA. It's not just Sonatype
>> employees.
>
> So you had to get approval from all contributors before switching to EPl-only?

Sonatype is granted perpetual rights which includes relicensing. But Hervé and
Kristian are free do to whatever with their contributions i.e. push them into a
fork of Aether or Sisu.

I believe that we changed the contributor gets perpetual rights to Sonatype
gets perpetual rights after most/all of their contributions but if they wanted
to take their code and do whatever with it we'd grant it back regardless of the
date of the license change.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl