On 7/28/11 10:43 AM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

On Jul 28, 2011, at 10:23 AM, Mark Struberg wrote:

The reason why no one committed to Aether beside yourself is partly that it
requires to sign some CLA which only unilaterally grants rights (as we can
certainly see now!).

Have you read the Sonatype CLA? The contributor keeps retains copyright and
Sonatype is granted the license. Much the same way the Apache or Eclipse CLAs
work. We changed that a long time ago when Brett pointed it out. Additionally
Hervé and Kristian signed the CLA. It's not just Sonatype employees.

So you had to get approval from all contributors before switching to EPl-only?

Which is another reason why I consider a fork to apache-extras a good idea. And
don't come me with the argument that the Maven community is not able to
maintain Maven without your help. At least there IS now a CI environment. And
remember who built the git stuff on which your whole company is based upon?

I'm not sure what you're referring to, we don't even sell anything with git in
it. m2eclipse has an m2eclipse-egit connector but we stopped using jgit-simple,
if that's the work you're referring to, and use the JGit APIs directly now[1].

The argument is not that we cannot fix it becaues we are dumb little bunnies,
but because the code is not under our control anymore!

I specifically said that folks here, from empirical observation, do not have
the time or energy. Additionally I would say you don't have much experience in
the Aether and Sisu codebases.

I most definitely did not say you were dumb, or didn't have the aptitude. But
having the aptitude still puts you a long way from working with the code
effectively. There's nothing magical about it, it's the same as any other body
of code in that it takes time, and energy to learn and gain experience with a
new codebase and become effective with it.

[1]:
https://github.com/sonatype/m2eclipse-egit/blob/master/org.sonatype.m2e.egit.target-platform/e37.target

LieGrue,
strub