Hi,

I see that this IRC conference has generated much more buzz than Daniel would have expected.
I'd like to reassure Andre as well as the other readers than I'm calm.

I'd like to precise some things about my position.
Why do OOoAuthors stirr so much discussion, from my side and others?
First I'd like to point out that the basic concept of OOoAuthors is perfectly acceptable itself. An external site providing documentation on OOo. That sounds good to me, and I guess to everybody here.

In every FOSS project history has its importance. As a matter of fact, did you know that Daniel was willing to become the documentation project lead? He wasn't elected. Then he created OOoAuthors. And then he changed the licence, while not explaining to the OOoAuthors members the consequence for this.

What you may not know (and some here can confirm my point) is that Daniel loves to send off-list email telling people about how bad using OOo is, and how the "establishment of OOo" (understand some project leads) is screwing up its job. I cannot of course read Daniel's mind. But I can watch his moves. And you know what? He's everything but somebody who needs "management", as Ian keeps telling me. Daniel has an agenda. Now, as I keep saying myself, I have no problem with OOoAuthors. It's an external site, outside OOo. But I do have a problem with its intent. The intent of OOoAuthors is to attract as much people as possible by trying to be appealing to advanced users as well as newcomers. (I'm not inventing anything, it's in the IRC log). What this means is that the intent of OOoAuthors is not just to help some documentation writers contribute, it is purely and simply to lure away users, contributors newcomers from OOo. Is that what you call a community? I don't, personally. Look for instance at how Daniel is spreading his propaganda on the discuss list. Almost every day, you'll have a post whose content and logic will tell you to go contribute to OOoAuthors. But why should OOoAuthors chase on the lists of OOo? Wouldn't it be the same if I opened a site called, say "CharlesownOOocommunity.com" and everyday I would go around the lists of OOo and tell everybody to move to my site because, among other reasons, there are problems with the OOo site? How would that feel? That would be at least intellectually unhonest, for a very simple reason: if you are part of a community that has problems (and frankly, do you know one that hasn't ?) then you should try to fix them, not go away founding your own little thing. I'm valuing this behaviour because I think that we're one community. If we weren't, I would find all this a normal behaviour.
Now, I've heard many here complaining about the Documentation project.
First, I'm not the documentation lead. Second, if you have problems, try to fix the documentation project, and if you can't, then go complain to the Community Council.

I don't think that our discussion will lead somewhere, but I may be wrong. I too would like to go work at things that are more useful for OOo. However, I'd like to know why Jonathon thinks OOo is not a good place to contribute. I think it's important to understand his reasons.

Best,
Charles.