A Maven archetype should get you around any license/distribution issues, provided the dependencies are in a public Maven repository. Then, Maven will download the dependencies, such that they don't need to be bundled. It's nice, but not necessary, that the plugins have Maven POMs (for the sake of transitive dependencies), and that doesn't necessarily mean the plugin must be built using Maven 2.