I'd prefer we give this more thought and keep it in the 2.1.x branch.
I view patch releases as those that only provide bug fixes or minor
stability features. Something like annotations, which will be used in
client code, is really a public API feature and should be reserved for
minor, at the least, feature releases.

Don