> No, I understood that this is what you were proposing. But this process
> will only be useful if there are actually files saved in a share named
> backup on some of the online clients. Those files will only get there if
> someone or something puts them there. Could not that someone or something
> just save directly to \\server\backup instead of doing that locally?
We have several applications in our office that don't perform well over the
network for several reasons and many of my people are lazy.  I don't know
how many times joe blow lost a days work because he forgot save it to the
network.  What I've done is confined them to working in a directory on their
local machines called projects, which I can setup as a client machine share
named backup...

> I'd rather put mission critical data on the server, and have no mission
> critical data on the client machines. But I understand that your needs
> might be different.
Nearly impossible in my shop.  One of our primary apps, ESRI Arc/Info, has
all kinds of trouble when working over the network.  The ESRI tech people
tell us to work locally, then move the workspace(s) back to the server when
we are done.  Also, try running a stream simulation model on a 2GB dataset
over the network.  Even if the user gets the full 100mb/s, it's not much
faster than running on a PII400.  Those AMD 900s and 1000s are just going to
waste.

In a perfect world, I'd agree with you Charlie.   In a practical world, I
have to make sure we aren't wasting hours redoing work because it got lost
on someones computer.

Regards,

Greg J. Zartman