On Thu, 14 Feb 2002 01:48, Les Mikesell wrote:
<snip>
> > > Having an XFS filesystem would be nice too, but secondary to the
> > > range of services available.
> >
> > They appear to mention they already use RedHat 7.2, ext3.
>
> I think XFS or Reiser would be a better fit for running
> qmail and its one-message-per-file format.  Has anyone
> timed creating/deleting thousands of files under the
> different filesystems available?   I recall seeing a benchmark
> program called 'postmark' some time ago to emulate mailer
> activity.
After my NAT comments, I probably should keep quiet, but:

I am pretty sure that the problems with ext3 and creating thousands of files
under a single directory have been fixed. I went to a talk by Ted T'so last
week (http://linux.conf.au), and this was mentioned.
Of course, we should try to benchmark real loads on whatever filesystems we
are considering using.

Brad