> From: Darrell May [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
>
> > I'd like to see a project that started with
> > something like:  http://k12ltsp.org/press.html and backed in as
> > much as possible of the easy management of the e-smith configuration.
>
> Definitely a good fit for educational sites.  Blending the
> terminal project
> is a great fit for this environment.  Looks like they do need an easy
> management interface.  Appears other then scripted install it is
> all command
> line once installed and running.

I don't see a huge difference in what you need to teach something
and what you need to do it in practice.  Plenty of office workers
could live without Microsoft Office and that will continue to
increase as OpenOffice improves.  Also note that the package above
includes 'rdesktop', a native Windows Terminal Services client so
a Windows machine could be shared for anything that might not be
available on Linux yet.

> > Having an XFS filesystem would be nice too, but secondary to the
> > range of services available.
>
> They appear to mention they already use RedHat 7.2, ext3.

I think XFS or Reiser would be a better fit for running
qmail and its one-message-per-file format.  Has anyone
timed creating/deleting thousands of files under the
different filesystems available?   I recall seeing a benchmark
program called 'postmark' some time ago to emulate mailer
activity.

   Les Mikesell
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]