Am Sonntag, 18. Oktober 2015, 01:47:05 schrieb
salutarydiacritica...@ruggedinbox.com:
> Adding latency is a bad idea and actually less effective than you
> believe compared to other ways.
>
> http://freehaven.net/anonbib/cache/ShWa-Timing06.pdf

As far as I can see by quick skimming, this is only about interactive
use of centralized services. “Latency is prohibitive” applies to a
much lower degree if the local service can do significant prefetching,
and if you can get stuff in massively parallel ways (like getting 20
chunks of a 400 kiB file simultaneously from 20 different sources
using 20 different routes).

> Slowing down the network pushes away users and less trees in the forest
> degrades anonymity.

See above.

> Freenet should move to secure crypto primitives right now. DH 1024 is
> dead and SHA1 should not be used for jar verification.

This is already happening.

> Are Freenet's papers on freehaven.net?

If not, it would be great if you could get them there:
https://freenetproject.org/papers.html?language=en

> For funding you should include as many payment methods as you can to
> make donations convenient. Your new frontpage should include a
> fundraising bar for year base costs. Then you say for any extra money
> you direct users to a detailed roadmap for planned Freenet features with
> estimates for manhour costs to develop. A visual representation
> motivates donators and makes them feel they are giving money towards
> something defined.

What do you think about the donation bar on
https://testing.freenetproject.org?

> Go for research grants if you can and try talking at
> universities and privacy conferences to recruit researchers.

I applied at opentech.fund, but I can’t predict whether it will work
out. The CENO folks applied for a grant at another position, too,
which should include work from freenet developers, if they do get the
grant. If you have other places where people with limited experience
in running on grants can apply, please note them here.

Best wishes,
Arne