Dave Bernstein wrote:

>Pactor is not the problem, Roger. Ops running keyboard-to-keyboard
>Pactor can determine that the frequency is clear before
>transmitting, just as you would in PSK, RTTY, or Olivia.

That is, of course, true.  I used to be a K to K Pactor operator myself
and I still own a PTC-II.  However, Pactor has pretty much devolved to a
mode outside of ordinary ham radio QSOs.  VERY few K to K pactor
operators anymore.  If you go to the SCS website it is plain that ham
radio is no longer their focus and serving boaters is.  By the way, I am
also an avid boater and I am quite familiar with the uses to which
members of my yacht clubs put Pactor.

>Other than excluding commercial content, its a slipperly slope to
>say what kind of traffic constitutes "true ham radio" and what
>doesn't. What's wrong with boaters with valid amateur licenses
>sending messages to Aunt Nelly, so long as they obey the rules and
>operate considerately.
>
>    73,

The law is comprised mainly of line drawing on the edge of "slippery
slopes." And nothing wrong with Pactor being a mode primarily designed
for family communications.  However, that is outside the basic nature of
amateur radio, IMO.

de Roger W6VZV