With the unfolding technologies we won't be needing subbands. For the
older technology such as PK-232 equipment the stop gap is to keep the
automatic operation areas in place for now. Ideally, they would
eventually not be needed. At this time I am not sure that the SCS modem
is a solution. It would require improved software to go with the modem.
But there is no reason that this could not be developed as a retrofix.

 From everything I have been discovering, there is very little support
(or even knowledge of ) the NTS/D. The current direction seems to be to
move toward the internet as the solution for handling e-mail traffic
with minimal ham activity. This is partially due to the desire for
timely traffic handling (one hour maximum delivery time that can not be
done by NTS/D) and partially due to the desire to reduce the number of
automatic stations operating on HF.

This is the basic philosophy of the Winlink 2000 system:  only use ham
radio for  a short distance to bridge a gap in the internet, (unless
longer distances are needed for wide spread disasters or for isolated
stations such as boaters),  keep HF stations off the air as much as
possible to avoid HF forwarding due to the lack of bandspace as it is,
and handle most of the short distance traffic via VHF/UHF packet to
further keep messages off of HF, and also because an increasing number
of new entrants do not have HF capability.

For casual types of operation, I think this is a good thing. I do not
consider such systems true emergency communications systems because with
certain single point failures, the system becomes inoperative. The
decentralized NTS system can still get through, albeit with inaccuracies
in the information and not necessarily in a timely manner. Sometimes
that is still better than nothing getting through at all.

In answer to your question about SCAMP you have some excellent points.

SCAMP could be programmed to work either way. You could have it shut
down after the link is established if it detects QRM. However, I am not
sure this is appropriate for several reasons. After all, it listened for
a period of time (random detection time with the current design and
could be set for any minimum time if this proves necessary) and then if
the channel is clear, it begins to use the frequency because it would be
responding to the human operator on the other end of the link. The busy
detector should be disabled once the link is established because anyone
else using the frequency is now the QRM. Further, if others knew that it
would abort with any QRM, we all know that there would be malicious
operators who would only have to send a dit or two on the frequency and
it would shut down the link.

With conventional data modes with human operators at both ends, if
someone is calling CQ on the frequency and not one else has been heard
for some time on the frequency and another station answers and then
someone new comes up on the frequency, it is difficult to consider the
new station as to having the frequency.  Sometimes they might, sometimes
not.

Two solutions would be to either have some kind of QRL polling by the
automated station or for the stations to be using ARQ operation.

This also highlights the value of an ARQ mode. Since the ARQ feature
means that there is a back and forth series of transmissions within a
reasonable amount of time. Certainly, within 30 seconds, but usually
much less (like 1 1/4 seconds for Pactor). Wouldn't it be reasonable
that stations operating in ARQ mode will insure that there is not a
hidden transmitter between two other stations that otherwise would think
the frequency is busy?

As was recently mentioned by the Winlink 2000 owner, during heavy use of
the bands, such as contest weekends, Winlink 2000 HF operations are
significantly affected in a most negative manner. So I agree that just
having congestion can bring down HF networks due to so little space for
so many signals.

As far as Winlink 2000's content or any other newer e-mail systems,
there is no broadcasting to my knowlege. All the connections are from
one station to the other station. In fact, it would be very difficult
(not impossible, but very difficult) for anyone to even monitor the
transmission content. Since the content is not transparent to the
amateur community, unlike almost any other amateur mode, this is a root
problem that we have not come to grips with.