This has been raised many times during this and other
debates in the Ham fraternity about the latest cause
of avoidable QRM.

It is one of the examples people unhappy point to as
an illustration of ARRL arrogance "do as I say, not as
I do".

OTOH, it is kind of silly if not looking for conflict
to start a QSO on a freq one knows has been used to the
benefit of thousands of Hams for 40 years at certain
times of day.

It remains the responsibility of the operators of W1AW
to be certain the freq is clear *prior* to transmitting.

Perhaps an Official Observer should cite them to make
the point that no one is above the law, regs, nor common
courtesy.

;-)  doc