It is too bad that packet could not have advanced with new technology to
make it work well on HF. In order for it to be able to work under many
conditions, it needed to have the agility to change baud rates/packet
sizes to match those conditions and it was really only designed for VHF
and for something very close to the MUF on HF.

The other problem seemed to be that when the internet moved to e-mail
routing, the hierarchy system of packet was much less useful since it
could only go to a home bbs. If they could have extended the system to
work with e-mail too, you would have had a system that had some real value.

As it stands now, there is no system out there that uses amateur radio
links to get to other hams since the shutting down of the old Winlink
system which only used amateur radio links and replacing it with the
mostly internet based Winlink 2000 system. So we have gone from one
extreme to another with no balanced approach that I think is needed so
we have access to the best of both worlds.