It seems I should state the part of the history I have lived.

1n 1991 I started with my C-64 and KPC-2 as user of several HF BBS's, on
different frequencies, "surfing the NETROM nodes", etc, until I
settled as user of YV2AEH on 14095 LSB. It solved a problem I had
not been told : stable mail routes.

A local BBS had started, CO2BQQ, but it did not have good routes
for P mail. It was a matter of making contacts and setting up
working routes, which is easier said than done.

Eventually, I became co-sysop of CO2BQQ, which had two HF ports at those
times, one on 14095 kHz (300 bauds) and another on 28 180 kHz 1200 baud
to KA0WIN. Eventually, worked on 15 meters with XE1FH.

On late 1993 I started CO2JA running FBB 5.15 and began forwarding with
the South FL network on 40 meters and a Satgate there. I cannot remember
callsigns now.

Life went on and stations come and go. Switched to the Cancun Satgate
(XF3R) on 7099 LSB. Routes all over the world were great and STABLE. I
started working part time on 7099 and 14101. When XF3R closed the 7099
port, I had become the sysop of CO2BQQ too, and moved it to 14107,
linked to XE1LM, which was the route to access the Cancun Satgate. Also,
I started an e-mail forwarding link to CO8RCI, which had the routes to
South America and the Caribbean. We left our HF radios en different
frequencies (14095, 14101 and 14107) and shared forwarding via an
automatic e-mail link, and linked to CO2BQQ and CO2BSS on 2 meters.
CO2BSS was running JNOS and had a landline modem access for those our of
coverage or unable to connect on 2 meters. We moved not less than 300 kB
  daily...it was a LOT to read, all over HF fwd links. When XE1LM
switched off, CO2BQQ went to 14091 1200 baud...sometimes it was great,
but most of the time, the propagation windows were wasted in endless
retries.
I also had CO2JA linked to KP4IG for a short time on 15 meters 1200
baud....it was GREAT, almost as good as 10 meters 1200 baud, but it did
not last long.

I had few HF users, and in general, it is a hindrance to support HF
users unless the user is well trained, has good equipment and is
considerate, to minimize the impact on the forwarding load for the
larger local group of VHF users. I had few non local users on HF, which
had no other way to enter into an organized network, but I always tried
to move the local users to the 2 meters ports or to the landline access.

I have used bulletin import from several web sites, and have also sent
mail to them, but P mail routes stopped working coherently when internet
forwarding routes appeared, among other reasons because some of those
stations had no links to the "RF world". And building a a coherent
forwarding routes files is not a trivial exercise, if it is going to be
done well.

On late 1998 I moved CO2JA to pactor forwarding and set P mail routes to
WU3V, TU5EX and somebody else I cannot remember on Europe. CO8RCI closed
the HF port, and so, lost the HF routes to South America. Satgates were
also gone, and internet fwd was only good for bulletins. CO3VT joined
for some time also feeding CO9BQQ on 2 meters from another HF frequency.
CO2JA and CO9BQQ were switched to Linux...and stability improved
inmensely. Could kiss goodbye to those nighttime resets of the MSDOS
era. Uptime rose up to a month or two at times. I did not reset the
BBS's anymore, but the power company did....

As Danny says, it was a sort of ham Internet, and worked well. When
there were wormholes, it was easy to fwd to the wormhole headend and
have it move the traffic to many places around the world, reliably.
For some time it was the substitute of Satgates.  There was a ham
comradeship that I miss, groups like this one get close but it is never
the same. I made good friends that way. P mail worked well. It was
nice,as Mark says, to be able to send a personal remark to someone,
request a 7PLUS fill, or request files from other BBS's in far places.
REQFIL was a sort of networked FTP. I also have been running different
flavors of NOS, but it was a different twist. It is a pity it all went
into thin air.

Man thinks as he lives, and I am not going to deny progress, but to
many, full Internet access is out of reach or non affordable.

The dissapearance of the RF packet network has been a great loss for
those who had equipment to devote to it, but no Internet access. And it
was OUR network. And there is still people in, say, less fortunate or
less developed places where RF is at reach but the wires are not. Losing
HF packet has broadened the ham digital divide. And it is not really
about losing packet, is about losing HF connectivity. A widespread,
improved substitute never showed up, at least, before AEA sang the dying
swan squeak, declared bankrupcy and many took it as the death
certification of packet radio.

I am a bit reluctant to accept that it is all history, and always kept
dreaming on something that worked better than 300 baud packet and was
affordable. Pactor II is great, but not popular for known reasons.

We have had our BBS's here fed by local users feeding articles and news
to them, but it is no longer the same as we enjoyed in the 90's.
Nowadays, P mail stays stuck, there are not enough good routes as before.

Nostalgia, yes, maybe...as Mark says, I also loved it. It was not easy
to keep running, but it was great....wasn't it ? Here, it was our window
to the world, at least for the least fortunate hams.

Jose, CO2JA