Gary,

>From the ARRL website:
Novice and Technician classes:

       28.000-28.300 MHz: CW, RTTY/Data--Maximum power 200 watts PEP
       28.300-28.500 MHz: CW, Phone--Maximum power 200 watts PEP

http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/allocate.html#10
<http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/allocate.html#10>
Personally, I do not particularly encourage Techs to use digital modes
on 10m, and would strongly oppose opening any other Novice/Tech CW sub
bands to digital mode use by Techs. Band plans are already in a state of
chaos and this would probably render those "novice" areas nearly
useless.  It would be a free for all the way I see it.  It is
sufficiently complex that I see plenty of Generals & Extras have a hard
time using digital modes appropriately.  Don't get me wrong, I love
digital modes and welcome their responsible use- but if it cannot be
done at least as orderly as now then we had best not open the gates to a
herd of exuberant greenhorns without sufficient coaching. There are
still three license classes for a reason!

Now if you propose that local clubs or even via online that some classes
be put together to coach Techs into upgrading to General with a focus on
setting up & using digital modes (or for that matter CW) I'd be all for
that! The biggest obstacles keeping people from upgrading is the lack of
readily available elmering and the persistent attitude of the crusty
OF's who think they own HF. Has been that way for the 20 years I've been
licensed at least.

Stu AF6IT

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Gary" <grwes...@...> wrote:

> I thought I'd run something up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes:

<snip>

> So... Here is the idea.  Would you be amenable to allowing Technician
Class licensees to operate digital modes in the Technician CW bands and
do you think that would be of interest to new hams?

> I would imagine, the license limitations would have to state something
like a maximum of 300 baud and 500 Hz bandwidth with a 200 watt power
limit.  There may be other limitations that might be nice to toss into
the mix but this is a starting point for discussion.