--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Gary" <grwes...@...> wrote:
Snip-----

> Your thoughts?
>
> Gary - N0GW

I have mixed feelings about that. I bought an FT-857D as incentive to learn
code and get on HF. Well it didn't work. I found quite a few things to play
with on 6m and above. Packet radio, PSK31 and other sound card modes APRS etc.
I had already passed the written extra exam by then and had to take it again
when the FCC finally dropped the the code requirement.

I don't think it would really hurt to give techs a few kHz on the HF bands for
digital modes, but I don't really think it is necessary. The general exam isn't
hard enough to stop anyone that wants to work HF from getting on the air. Our
club offers Ham Cram style classes for both tech and general, usually 2 tech
classes for every general and that is because of a lack of students. The
opportunity is there for those that want it.

A lot of our new techs seem to get into it for public service. Weather
spotting, Red Cross and things like that. A tech license is all they need or
want. They may never own or want more than a 2m HT.
I don't think more privileges is really going to change that.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike kc9doa