Ok fellas, I hear the message.  No tech digital on the 80, 40, and 15 meter
bands.  I'll drop the idea.

I do get a bit of a chuckle at the comments about reduced licensing
requirements.  Sure, I and my buddies had to study hard for our tests and we
had to learn the code.  By the time we took our Novice tests, we could probably
have drawn out the complete schematic of a workable CW transmitter.  That did
not, however, mean that we knew what the heck we were doing.

Today's CB converts know more about the basics of radio that most of the hams
we knew back then.  Heck, only one guy in our town with probably a dozen hams
even owned a SWR bridge.  Unfortunately, he didn't know how to use it.  I'm not
sure any of us knew why you would use one in the first place.  Those CBers we
all complain about may have developed some annoying operating habits but they
seem to grow out of them as they get experience on the ham bands.  They are no
worse technically than we were back then

Knowing the code and having to take a test without seeing the question pool
ahead of time did not make us technical experts and it certainly did not make
us good radio operators.  We stumbled around, accidentally QRMed each other,
messed up TV reception for the whole neighborhood, but we had fun.  I'm just
concerned that same level of fun does not appear to be available to new entry
level hams, at least under these solar conditions.

Now back to playing radio.

Gary - N0GW