I'd argue that folders are broken on the desktop too.. which is why
your see Mac OSX moving towards saved smart folders (searches) based
on metadata.. and of course MS followed suit in Vista.

Labels/tags can be used in the same way as folders, but it allows data
to exists in more than one category.  That way I don't have to
remember where I put everything, I can look where I think it should
be.

When you put a piece of data in a category in a one to one
relationship you have to search/hunt around to find that data again
after.. especially if it could easily fit under more than one category
header.

I'd rather have data where I want to look for it then have to remember
it's structure every time.

For instance, when I bookmark a site in my browser i have to choose a
folder.. if the site is about design, the web, and usability, which
folder does it go in?  If I tag it with all three then I will find it
when I'm looking for content based on any of those words, based on the
context when I need it again.

--
Matt Nish-Lapidus
email/gtalk: [EMAIL PROTECTED]