I'm not big on metaphors...most of them at some point stop being
relevant. That being said, the purpose of folders is not entirely
fulfilled by tagging.  Tagging enables multiple sorting and finding
(And keep in mind that it is entirely possible that none of the tags
you apply today will ring a bell tomorrow. So it doesn't *solve* the
multiple concepts problem.). Folders enable sorting, finding AND
STORING. And one of the biggest impediments to locating anything is
having visibility of things that are not going to be relevant.

This is why I alias the living daylights out of just about
everything...mail, files, even folders. That enables me to access a
particular item from just about anywhere my mind is holding it at the
moment (which still doesn't solve the "my brain just made up a new
category" problem).

I find, though, that being confronted by a plethora of messages or
files or whatever at any stage causes my brain to choke quickly.

On an issue no one has brought up: Although the interfaces and
capabilities of web-based mail clients are mostly pretty good -- to a
greater or lesser degree -- they are all web-based. I want my mail on
MY machine. I don't want to have to believe in Google's legal
department to keep it out of the hands of the feds if there's a
cracker somewhere using Gmail. I don't want to rely on their servers
all being just fine...etc., etc., etc. I may be paranoid...and yes, I
do understand that privacy is a pretty myth...but I still want to
control it from my machine and my server. In any case, the idea that
MY email is on Some Other Machine, immediately makes it a poorer user
experience.

And all of that leads me to be a devoted Eudora user...and a very bad
rational critic thereof. I've been using it so long, I no longer
notice if something could be done better.

Katie