Hi Grady,

On 12 Nov 2007, at 21:26, Grady Kelly wrote:

> What are the opinions here about what comes first, the Design or the
> Technology?

They both evolve together. You need a medium and a message :-)

> I am currently designing a web application from an existing windows
> application.  No decision had been made at the time as far as the
> technology
> to be used, only that it would be a web application.  So I designed
> like I
> normally do, I composite/mock up designs in Fireworks, and then
> build the
> high fidelity prototypes with xhtml/css/javascript.  We have been
> showing
> our prototypes to users and have received a lot of great feedback and
> approval.

Sounds great.

> Development has now decided to use Adobe Flex for the front end.
> Their
> reasoning was biased towards developers, easier to code, MVC, strictly
> typed, etc.  My favorite was "The DOM breaks all the time, and we
> can't work
> with it."

Note - that that's not a bias towards developers in general. That's a
bias to a particular group of developers with a particular skill set.
In my current $work the bias would be pretty much the opposite for
example :-)

Also - why now? Did they like HTML before? Were the involved early
enough that information about the costs of developing one route could
effect the design decisions made?

> The developers tried to create my design in Flex.  It was close in
> concepts,
> but not near close to what I initially produced.  My initial
> thought was,
> maybe I should design in Flex, and make the Flex UI look like what
> I have
> designed.  But I am thinking more that users and the design should
> drive the
> application and not development and what makes things easier for them.

They should each drive each other. If you can't implement your design
you have no product. If there is no design you have a bad product.
This means that developers, business folk, IxD folk, etc. all need to
be talking together right from the start.

> Development is still making decisions about the application with
> comments
> like, "it makes it easier for us to code" instead of "if we take a
> few more
> days, we can use JSON and improve performance by 25%."

I'd say they're fairly important comments on what kind of designs may
be possible no?

> So what should come first?  The design or the technology?  Should one
> conform to the other?  Should the design break for development?
> Has anyone
> else had this experience?  Should the user come first? or the
> developer?  Or
> am I just out of my mind? ;o)

Getting a good product comes first. Design, business and development
need to work together to make that work :-)

Cheers,

Adrian