This about sums up my experience working with code-level developers:
excellent advice.

I absolutely can't emphasise enough the difference #1 makes to a development
project. Get your development lead working side-by-side with the 'design'
team as early as possible and you'll get a much smoother ride through the
rest of the project. Encourage them to go and do small proofs-of-concept
around those features that may or may not work in a particular technology
option - incorporate the results back into the design documents.

Regards,
Steve

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 14:17:23, David Malouf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Grady, the answer is "YES".
>
> Few things:
> 1. Collaborate w/ Tech on design. Don't over the wall something to
> them. You'll get dinged every time.
> 2. Don't avoid the question of technology during the design process.
> By doing #1 you want to make assumptions with engineering buy-in so
> that if they pull a "we want to work in Flex, now" on you can point
> to previous agreements in the design.
> 3. If you get great feedback that affirms your design decisions,
> document them, get buy-in that everyone agrees and use them
> throughout.
> 4. KNOW the technology. What in the world about Flex would make your
> designs not work? Flex creates AJAX/HTML code. It is just a
> development environment and server runtime engine.
> 5. There is a 3rd party here, no? Where's the business? Who has the
> business' ear? Are they part of the collaborative process? If not,
> why not? If so, why are they agreeing with engineering? And why
> haven't you made your case.

Steve 'Doc' Baty B.Sc (Maths), M.EC, MBA
Director, User Experience Strategy
Red Square
P: +612 8289 4930
M: +61 417 061 292