Of course you can be a great design principal, and influence the very nature
of a company. You can be a great Creative director, a great VP of user
experience, and in a design company, perhaps even a CCO or a CXO. But in a
big product company if you want to design the business, that role is owned
by another title. I think it's small minded to demand the title be changed
just because you have a non-MBA background. But I also feel strongly that
designers are every bit as suited to be great product heads and business
heads as long as they do their homework to fill in missing knowledge, just
as former engineers and former marketeers must do.

I only say this because I hope that designers with a head for business and
an interest in broadening their influence will be willing to try out giving
up their title and playing a different role. You don't have to, but you
might like it. and I promise that you don't stop being a designer, you just
expand your scope. And if you don't like it, happily more and more companies
are making the principal designer role a standard.